Close

Stay up to date with Sully, Tony, Robbie and Shannon by signing up to The Awakening, the official newsletter for Godsmack. Regular updates will be sent straight to your inbox, giving you the latest on album releases, tour dates, ticket sales and more.

All fields must be completed in order to join the mailing list.

Mailing List

Email :

Why no cameras allowed?

Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Ok, this is more for curiosity than anything, but why does this tour not allow any cameras at all? I understand how some venues don't allow cameras, but a guy, I'm guessing from Ground(ctrl)? heck, who cares made a statement about 10 minutes before gates opened. I specifically asked one of the venue reps, and even the administrator at the place about cameras and they said small ones were ok, but no professional cameras.
And before anyone mentions that cell phones have cameras on them, everyone knows that phones don't take the same quality pictures that a regular camera does. Professional cameras, I completely understand, their bulky with removable lenses, etc. But why not the smaller point and shoot cameras? I have my opinions about some things, but I'm curious to see what the official response is.

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: Why no cameras allowed?

Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

We were allowed cameras... I had my point and shoot. In fact, I saw some bigger ones that people had. They even did a bag check and they didn't say anything at all.

Funny how different everything is from place to place...
    Miss T

2. RE: Why no cameras allowed?

Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Go figure.

Now that just pisses me off, hahaha. I was told specifically by TWO people from the venue (one being an administrator, the other the girl who took us to the M&G) that the camera I had was fine. (small point and shoot that I have taken to every concert for the last few years) Then before the gates open, some dude announces that THE TOUR doesn't allow ANY CAMERAS at all. That it's not the venue, but THE TOUR. And that was after some dude (that I mentioned in the VIP post (affliction shirt, no neck, remember that one? haha) asked me on my way off the stage from meeting the band "Do you have photographer credentials for that? Cause we don't allow cameras inside the show unless you have credentials." I told him I was told by 2 people it was ok, but he just showed more attitude, so I just told him "whatever" and walked away to the gate.
    I would have much preferred to use it instead of my Iphone.....I'm writing someone a strongly worded email tonight, haha.

3. RE: Why no cameras allowed?

Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I put some thought into this..

A) some members of Godsmack believe that a camera can steal your soul so no cameras.

B) they're vampires and wouldn't show up on film and have to continue to hide their true identity.
    We like to talk big, vampires do. "I'm going to destroy the world." That's just tough-guy talk.The truth is, I like this world. You've got, dog racing, Manchester United. And you've got people. billions of people walking around like a happy meal on legs.

4. Moderator

RE: Why no cameras allowed?

Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I posted this on FB as well after people complaining how the venues wouldn't let their cameras in and blamed the band.

I spoke with the tour manager and Godsmack has no issues with point and shoot cameras at their shows. There are, however, some venues that do have a issue with cameras and seem to find it easier to put the blame on the bands (why I have NO idea). The only cameras the band has ANY issues with is the big professional ones (as any band does) that would require a photo pass for entry. (Note: Photo passes are only granted to pro photographers or people who are press related the bands or venues have given the OK to). All point and shoots during the show should be fine. Video recorders however may be a issue, there have been people who have sold boot leg videos online, which are a problem. Small fan video clips up loaded to you tube, not so much.

The only time VIP hosts should have a issue with point and shoot cameras is during the M&G's. This goes across the board to most VIP companies bands deal with. They just don't allow personal cameras to be out during the M&G and will take a photo of you and the band that can be alter downloaded on godsmack.com here (which has already been a covered topic here)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dominique ~ Web Manager
    Godsmack | Sully Erna
    www.godsmack.com | www.sullyerna.com
    godsmackinfo@yahoo.com | info@sullyerna.com

5. Moderator

RE: Why no cameras allowed?

Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM

PS- Just make note I speak on behalf of Godsmack and Godsmack only. I do NOT speak for any of the other bands on this tour, nor the promoters. I just know the band personally has no issues with point and shoots at their shows, never has. Even Sully allowed point and shoots at his very small and intimate shows, he just asks people didn't use their flash if they took pics.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dominique ~ Web Manager
    Godsmack | Sully Erna

6. RE: Why no cameras allowed?

Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I didn't think the problem would ever be with the band. From what I've seen, they're actually pretty cool guys. I'm a little annoyed at the venue now. Although, the guy who stopped me on the stage, while I was to assume he was somehow associated with the management or security, or whatever, I dunno. All of the other venue people had shirts saying they were with Concrete Street, this guy just had a big neck. Maybe he's some other "person of interest" involved with the venue. But I've stated above 2 people from the venue (one being our VIP "guide") said it was ok.

I'm just beginning to think that this venue just sucks, haha. I have a few other issues involving this show, but it has nothing to do with the bands or their crew in any way. Just with this place....

Thanks for letting me know that it's not from the band or their management in any way, I'm think I'm convinced I've gone to my last show at this place.

7. Moderator

Re: Why no cameras allowed?

Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Whatever the issue was at the venues, it should be all worked out. I spoke with management and made them aware of what was going on ;)
    Dominique ~ Web Manager
    Godsmack | Sully Erna