Close

Stay up to date with Sully, Tony, Robbie and Shannon by signing up to The Awakening, the official newsletter for Godsmack. Regular updates will be sent straight to your inbox, giving you the latest on album releases, tour dates, ticket sales and more.

All fields must be completed in order to join the mailing list.

Mailing List

Email :

'Cryin Like a Bitch' -- Recording Problems! -- What is Godsmack gonna do?

Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 9:24 AM

There are a ton of songs that I like from Godsmack. The first time I saw them was at Ozzfest 2000, down in the pit the whole time. ... But the reason I am posting this is to hopefully get someone's attention. 'Cryin Like a Bitch' rocks, hits hard, but they got F*(ked on the recording. I have a tough time believing I am the only person that has noticed at ~2:09:30 to around 2:25 there is static that is introduced to the song. You can really hear it in the breaks between the rifts. .. I'm surprised that a well recorded artist, with large volume of sales, would let a substandard recording slide. So much that even in their video, they use the exact same recording, which introduces errant static there as well. .. Does Godsmack even know it is there? Well they should now! Do they stand up to Universal Republic Records and make them remaster the track? Make them pay for recording time/studio time/ and reprints on their dime for releasing a substandard recording? ...

The intent of this post is to hopefully make the band aware of the issue, if they aren't already. And even better would be to get that shit fixed! .. Hell, turn it into something positive .. Rerecord the song and post it as a free download, on the recording label's dime and bandwidth. Add the remastered track to your next album. Fix the single. Relay the track on the video. .. Something.

It is a question to the integrity of Godsmack's music. As an artist, I want to put the best product I possibly can out there. Something I am proud of. And I really like the music Godsmack puts out; they rock! .. Do I think Godsmack was aware of the issue and decided not to do anything about it? No, probably not. Could the recording studio not have known? .. Doubtful. I am an audiofile, and maybe not many people are cranking Godsmack across Morell Supremos at 95% volume. But I can't believe that I am the only person who has heard it before now. I heard it the first day the album was released, and to this day I still can't find that anyone else has acknowledged it.

What are your thoughts? Does music quality matter in Metal? Is Metal somehow a lesser form of music that deserves less attention and care to detail? Is it because all Metal sounds the same? ... So Godsmack: What is your next move?

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: 'Cryin Like a Bitch' -- Recording Problems! -- What is Godsmack gonna do?

Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Gotta be honest with you, it doesn't bother me at all, I think they should leave it, as far as godsmack's next move, they should record another album.
    "In your eyes, you can bid me farewell."

2. Re: 'Cryin Like a Bitch' -- Recording Problems! -- What is Godsmack gonna do?

Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 2:24 PM

never noticed it and don;t really care if its there. I listen to my GS loud at home or in my car, "the static" has no effect on my ears so in my mind, its not really there. Gotta agree with Immune, they should leave it be cuz your right, most of us not cranking Godsmack across Morell Supremos at 95% volume. I'm game for a new album too, hells yeah!
    ~ I'm tougher then nails, I can promise you that~

3. Re: 'Cryin Like a Bitch' -- Recording Problems! -- What is Godsmack gonna do?

Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM

i never noticed it . i crank up godsmack the static can stay.
    annette g.

4. Re: 'Cryin Like a Bitch' -- Recording Problems! -- What is Godsmack gonna do?

Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM

I don't really like the song too much, so I can't say that I ever picked up on anything off about it...but it's played a lot on the local rock station so I'll pay attention next time.

5. Re: 'Cryin Like a Bitch' -- Recording Problems! -- What is Godsmack gonna do?

Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:01 AM

I have never noticed it before so it doesn’t bother me. I don’t feel that because there is a bit of static in one song the quality is lacking.

6. RE: 'Cryin Like a Bitch' -- Recording Problems! -- What is Godsmack gonna do?

Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I think that the static is intentional. If you listen to the lyrics it makes since to have static there. It reminds me of a radio station going out of tune! Thanks for pointing it out it makes the song better for me! The point he is making with the lyrics are stronger with it!

7. Re: 'Cryin Like a Bitch' -- Recording Problems! -- What is Godsmack gonna do?

Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Just listened to it with headphones on and i can hear it. My guess is that there is a delay effects pedal being used with a distortion pedal on the guitars, which is acting as a fill between the riffs, and less likely to be a fault in the recording process. without headphones it is not noticable, and does not concern me enough to warrent a re-recording of the song.