Close

Stay up to date with Sully, Tony, Robbie and Shannon by signing up to The Awakening, the official newsletter for Godsmack. Regular updates will be sent straight to your inbox, giving you the latest on album releases, tour dates, ticket sales and more.

All fields must be completed in order to join the mailing list.

MIA avatar MIA

Sucks to put a pet down

Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

A friend just had to put her beloved cat down...due to cancer. He was 10

RIP Taz.......go meet the others at the Rainbow Bridge
"e"

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: Sucks to put a pet down

Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I'm 49 and in my life me or my immediate family has had to put down over a dozen doggie friends. My condolences to everybody here who's had to. It never gets easier, but I couldn't imagine living without canines.
    The 2 we have now are shelter rescue dogs, picked up about a year apart. They're both young enough, we won't have to worry about putting them down for sometime yet. Thank Goddess.
    Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex. Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects. (Natural Science, Permanent Waves, RUSH.

Well behaved women rarely make history.

www.nami.org

2. MIA avatar MIA

RE: Sucks to put a pet down

Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:48 AM

I know, we've had many pets - dogs,cats, turtles, birds. My pup now is 3 so I have years to go. I'm thinking 7 or 8 more. It's just not long enough. But it gives us animal people the chance to love and spoil more. To give them a great life.
    I can't imagine life without a pet....they bring so much.
    "e"

3. RE: Sucks to put a pet down

Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I've only had to send one of my beloved cats, named Mr Pooker down...and that was over 15 yrs ago, yet feels like yesterday even still. They let me hold him while doing so, but had to do procedure twice because first time didn't work. Destroyed me.

Your friend must be devastated, as I would be if I had to deal with this issue two times within short period....my heart goes out to her
    Craig...

4. MIA avatar MIA

Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:46 AM

She's doing ok now. Did I mention, she's a true cat lover and has rescued some street cats, mom and her kittens. She took them in, tried to find them homes, couldn't, so she kept them.
    I think she has 7 in total, could be more lol. I love her for that and plus she took a name I suggested for the momma cat. She is a great lady for all she does for cats/animals. Very caring. And no she is not a hoader LOL.

OMG, "They let me hold him while doing so, but had to do procedure twice because first time didn't work. Destroyed me."

First time didn't take....I'd be a more of a mess than I was. Sorry you had to go through that and sorry for your cat....that is just not right.

"e"

5. RE: Sucks to put a pet down

Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yeah...it was a tad rough holding him while he went upward to better places, but I aalso had to think of his twin brother Tubby, who was @ home and not going to understand why I wasn't bringing Pooker home. They were twin male coon cats, that my brother resucued from a friend, who's gf was going to toss litter over a bridge and into highway traffic. They proved to be quite a handful and so...I took 'em in. I had Mr Pooker cremated, and when Tubby passed away several years later of natural causes (found him in his litter box one morning), I drove Tubster & Pookers ashes to my parents house & buried them in bckyrd. Then a week later, brought over a marker I had made in both their honors and to this day...it's still there.
    Always been an avid cat owner/lover....just ask Sal. He runs our household and is only going on 3 yrs old.....

Craig...

6. RE: Sucks to put a pet down

Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I know the feeling... two years ago I had to put my old girl down... We had her for 12 years she was a rotty who had been healthy most of her life but ended up with breast cancer when she was 10... we had it removed and thouhgt she was clear but in the last year of her life she had issues with her back legs not doing what they were supposed to be doing... then morning they just stopped working... I carried her to my car ( I have no idea how she was huge) and headed to the vet... She never came home with me... bloody hell two years ago and I still miss her like crazy. Funny how they put themselves into your life and take a huge piece of your heart with them huh? Or is that just me?

I now have a gorgeous one year mastif x boy and a new addition to the family an orphaned three month old tabby kitten girl... they absolutely love eachother after getting them used to eachother.

Sorry for rambling. xoxo
    Imagination is a reality yet to be created

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world..." Albert Einstein

7. MIA avatar MIA

Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Your quote
    She never came home with me... bloody hell two years ago and I still miss her like crazy. Funny how they put themselves into your life and take a huge piece of your heart with them huh? Or is that just me?

Sorry for your loss. it hurts but we have to smile for the memories and the great life we gave them.
    AND YES, they do take a huge piece of your heart.... it's not just you.

I remember saying to a guy at work when i have to put my dog down, I think of piece of me will die with him. He just looked at me. Some people get it, some think we need to get a life. But I have a great life...owning a pet. It's that unconditional love.
    "e"

8. RE: Sucks to put a pet down

Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM

that's so sad to hear, i am sorry for your loss. I can never a put a pet down. A friend of mine even ask me to do the favor for him because he can't do it to his own, I cant. Just so sad for me even just the idea of putting a pet down. I think if there is no really good reason for that then it should not be done, unless your pet is really in great pain.

9. MIA avatar MIA

Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM

You're there - as much as it hurts and hurts - for them, to be with them when they cross to the Rainbow Bridge. Bring comfort to you and them. I hated going through it but I had to be there, he was always there for me, I had to be there for him in his final moments. His little head bows down... f*ck I hated seeing that and still brings a tear when I think about it.
    It just sucks to put a pet down.
    "e"

10. RE: Sucks to put a pet down

Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 3:08 AM

I thinks it's the greatest respect you can give to your pets. In that one moment when they die they die knowing they were loved. They feel it as you hold them in your arms. It is really hard to do but I like to think it made their scariest moment a little less scary for them.

I like this poem... I hope it helps

A Dog's Prayer.

If it should be that I grow weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep
    Then you must do what must be done,
    For this last battle cannot be won.
    You will be sad, I understand;
    Don't let your grief then stay your hand
    For this day more than all the rest
    Your love for me must stand the test
    We've had so many happy years
    What is to come can hold no fears,
    You'd not want me to suffer so,
    The time has come please let me go.
    Take me where my need they'll tend
    And please stay with me until the end,
    Hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time that you will see,
    The kindness that you did for me
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.
    Please do not grieve, it must be you
    Who has this painful thing to do,
    We've been so close, we two, these years,
    Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

I, too am sorry for your loss xoxo
    Imagination is a reality yet to be created

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world..." Albert Einstein

11. MIA avatar MIA

Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 4:47 AM

That is beautiful Ellejay!
    "e"